From time to time, Principals encounter problems with practice staff, and situations in which their own individual goals or values, often related to management of the business, are not in alignment, potentially endangering stability of the practice.
Invariably, these situations require a fresh, independent or impartial view of the facts, relationships, administrative structures (or lack thereof), and working environment.
Principals and staff generally do not have time or experience to deal with such matters without perceived conflict of interest as, often, they themselves may be involved.
- HPC participates in larger practice Board meetings to facilitate Corporate Governance processes and structure Director effectiveness models.
- HPC oversees business operations = pseudo ‘outsourced CEO’.
Principal – Interpersonal
HPC assists as an advisor to Principals in resolving interpersonal and business-related issues.
HPC analyses and recommends solutions for relationship and functional differences between various layers of management and personnel.
Practice Wide Reviews
HPC conducts a review and collates practice staff opinions on a wide range of matters to support necessary operational improvements or cultural changes.
HPC assists with development of various programs, e.g. Staff Appraisal, Performance Counselling, Supplier Management, and operational structures (complemented by HPC Practice Audit Health Check and HPC Business Management services if appropriate).
Let us undertake your clerical recruitment for you. Our process includes:
- Job Analysis: A questionnaire regarding the responsibilities and functions of the vacant position must be completed. This will assist with recruitment of a suitable person to the position. The result of this analysis will form the basis of a Position Description.
- Advertisement: An advertisement is carefully constructed in order to obtain suitable applications that fit the functions and culture of your practice. Suitable advertising streams are chosen that provide maximum exposure to the relevant industry and within a reasonable geographical boundary to your practice location.
- Screening and Culling: Applications and Resumes are reviewed and short-listed to a maximum of four.
- Interviews: Interviews are conducted with the short-listed applicants. Applicants are instructed to attend the interview a few minutes early in order to carry out a brief written task. Such a task can often differentiate one from a promising group.
- References: References are checked. Personal discussions are held with referees.
- Selection: Two applicants are selected. The doctor is given the opportunity to meet with both applicants and be involved in making the final decision.
- Implementation: The successful applicant is notified. A contract is put into place.
Are you a practice owner looking for staff or a worker looking for a position in a medical practice?
Contact us now and we may be able to find the perfect person or practice for you.
A Strategic Plan and annual Business Plans are essential for running a successful (practice) business. It will provide you with the control you need over the business, to grow, generally change direction of the business, or even wind-down.
You may also find that financiers, investors or interested partners may insist on reviewing these plans prior to striking any deals with you as they bear praiseworthy evidence to future planning and structured management of the practice.
A Strategic Plan is a longer term view, usually a 3-5 year vision for your practice.
A Business Plan is an annually constructed tool to help you achieve your 3-5 year vision.
The HPC Business Plan consists of 5 parts – Business Identity, Marketing, Management, Contingency and a Financial Plan.
The Financial Plan comprises a Feasibility Study for your practice, covering start up costs, loan repayments, annual operating costs, cost of keeping the practice open, break even patients per day, and annual income/profit projections.
We base our feasibility studies and quantified cost/income estimates on industry benchmarking guides, thereby taking the guesswork out of assessments.
Whether your Practice has been established for 6 months or 16 years, it is essential to undertake a periodic audit of the key elements of the practice or business to ensure all systems are up to date, compliant, and working as efficiently as possible.
Practice Audit Health Checks have achieved the following results:
- Increased income
- Increased practice productivity
- Increased efficiency of practice procedures
- Compliance with mandatory legislation
- Compliance with GP Accreditation
We have various levels of health checks depending on your specific needs.
Our checks commence with a review to assess your operational, management, legal and financial position.
Personal and business targets are discussed and a Report is submitted with recommendations for achieving your personal or business targets, and for increasing efficiency and productivity of the practice.
Health Checks are also employed by our clients to assess the status of a practice they are considering purchasing and to assist existing or recently established practices with GP Accreditation.
HPC has extensive experience working with government grants.
We assist with writing Tender Responses, reviewing and negotiating Funding Agreements, preparing Tender Documents and Project Management of the project if successful.
We have extensive experience negotiating Funding Agreements with the Government. Over the years we have developed a sense for how the Government negotiates and which aspects are worth pursuing.
We have also gained knowledge of how to comply with various components of an Agreement in the least burdensome way.
Responses and Applications
HPC has acquired considerable experience in constructing Responses to tenders and government Grant Applications for development or extension of various aspects of medical practices. Successful submissions include two grant applications totalling $10 million.
Tender Responses and Grant Applications require more than just compliance with Evaluation Criteria. Invariably, there are other unspecified aspects that add considerable weight and credibility to a grant application or tender response.
Knowledge of these important extras have been acquired through experience and direct or indirect involvement in various tenders and grants.
Apart from preparing the actual responses and applications, HPC can simply provide a set of advisory guidelines on how to optimise the value of a submission.
In some instances, organisations need to source services from external suppliers via a formal Tender, detailing all information required, credentials and relevant compliance requirements of respondents.
HPC is experienced in assisting organisations in undertaking this task, including preparation of such documents.
Clearly stated Tenders increase the chance of meaningful responses which can be easily compared when selecting the best bidders.
Additionally, it is vitally important that suitable disclaimers and appropriately worded sub-clauses provide adequate legal protection for the party issuing the Tender.
HPC has extensive experience implementing project plans and budgets in accordance with tender submissions and Funding Agreements.
We are experts in regards to the various items required in a Funding Agreement which may include:
- Reporting (Project and Financial)
- Acquittals Process
- Audit Process
- Stakeholder, Supplier and Building Contracts
- Milestone Adherence
- Chart of Accounts
- Project Variations
- Liaison with Stakeholders including the Government
- Funding Agreement oversight and compliance